VACANCY: Editor-in-Chief for HTS Theological Studies
HTS Theological Studies, a reputable peer-reviewed scholarly journal published by AOSIS, is looking for a dynamic and experienced academic to take on the role of Editor-in-Chief to oversee the editorial process of our open-access scholarly journal, the HTS Theological Studies (www.hts.org.za), within the journal’s focus and scope.
The journal shall strive to be a premier, high-quality scholarly journal with high visibility and impact to share international research in theological and religious studies.
As Editor-in-Chief, you will be responsible for ensuring the quality and reputation of the journal, promoting it to potential authors and readers, and leading the editorial team to achieve the journal’s goals.
The Editor-in-Chief of HTS typically serves a three-year term, which may be renewed. The position comes with an annual stipend.
- Provide overall strategic direction and vision for the journal.
- Oversee the editorial process, including manuscript submission and peer-review.
- Ensure that all editorial decisions are made based on the journal’s scope, policies, and ethical guidelines.
- Manage the editorial team, including associate editors, editorial assistants, and reviewers.
- Ensure that the journal’s publication schedule is met, and production is efficient.
- Promote the journal through social media, academic conferences, and other means.
- Work closely with the publisher to ensure the journal’s long-term sustainability.
- Represent the journal in discussions with authors, readers, and other stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments and trends in the field and incorporate them into the journal’s strategy and policies.
- Monitor the journal’s performance and recommend changes to improve quality, efficiency, and impact.
- Publish high-quality research in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain the journal’s reputation and position as a leading journal in the field.
- Foster a culture of excellence, inclusivity, and transparency in the editorial team.
- Promote diversity and inclusivity in the journal’s editorial process, authorship, and readership.
- Meet publication deadlines and manage the editorial process efficiently.
- Work collaboratively with the publisher, editorial team, authors, reviewers, and other stakeholders.
- PhD in theology or religious studies or a related discipline with a strong record of scholarly publications in quality journals and books.
- At least 5 years’ experience as an editor or associate/assistant editor for a scholarly journal, or a proven record of academic leadership.
- Experience as a member of an editorial board, a section editor, or reviewer for a scholarly journal shall be is advantageous.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including the ability to motivate and manage a team.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong decision-making skills and ability to work under pressure.
- Knowledge of the latest technological developments in scholarly publishing.
- Familiarity with publication ethics and guidelines.
- Understanding of the research landscape in the journal’s field.
- A strong commitment to diversity, inclusivity, and ethical practices.
If you meet these qualifications and are passionate about leading a dynamic and successful editorial team, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity with a cover letter, attaching your full Curriculum Vitae.
All submissions can be submitted online at: https://bit.ly/3Q7xwn5 and require the following information.
- A letter of application and motivation, with personal contact details.
- An abridged Curriculum Vitae (CV) (include only the relevant information).
- Contact details of two professional/academic references.
- ORCID with a fully populated online ORCID profile.
- Scopus ID (optional but advantageous)
- Google Scholar ID (optional but advantageous)
AOSIS will contact all potential candidates once a decision has been made. Potential candidates may be asked to attend a virtual interview. For any further information or queries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: 12:00 SAST on Tuesday, 31st of October 2023
About AOSIS Scholarly Journals
Maximise journal impact through open access, expert publishing services, quality peer reviews, and cost-effective production. You can browse the AOSIS open access journal collection per scholarly field and browse by keyword or per author at library.aosis.co.za. All our open access content is free, and available to everyone upon publication. A physical copy can be purchased at the AOSIS Shop.
Open access publishing
We are an open access publisher which means that all content is freely available without charge to the reader. Readers are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the books, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author, provided that the work is appropriately cited.