The African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) is seeking a highly motivated individual to serve an initial 3-year term as the Editor-in-Chief of its peer-reviewed scholarly journal, the African Journal of Laboratory Medicine (AJLM). The position will start in February 2022 when the current Editor-in-Chief, Prof Iruka N. Okeke, University of Ibadan, Nigeria, completes her second 3-year term.
Founded in 2011, AJLM is an open-access peer-reviewed journal publishing regular-issue articles on a continuous basis and special issue articles. The journal publishes original research, scientific letters on matters of general interest, in-depth and critical reviews, opinion papers, case studies, and brief reports with a focus on the role of the laboratory and its professionals in the clinical and public healthcare sectors both in Africa and other resource-limited settings. The journal is fully supported by ASLM and all articles are published without fees to authors and are available to read free of charge to all.
- Set the strategic direction and vision for AJLM’s next 3-5 years
- Contribute to the advancement of laboratory medicine in Africa by soliciting article submissions, guest editorials, and special issues and article collections on current and critical topics
- Appoint and oversee Editorial Board members and Section Editors
- Oversee peer review process, including handling articles through peer review, assigning submissions to Section Editors to handle through review, granting final approval to accept for publication
Support structure / Compensation:
- South Africa based publisher, AOSIS, provides an in-house, online peer review management platform and extensive staff support for peer review and production
- Editorial Board office: Managing Editor (day-to-day operations), 2 Editorial Assistants (technical editing), Section Editors (handle submissions through review), Editorial Board members (reviews, etc.)
- ASLM provides reimbursement for local internet costs, salary support for EIC editorial assistant, waiver of ASLM conference registration fee.
- Tenure-track academic position (Assoc / Asst Prof, Prof)
- Publication record (recent, high quality writing)
- 5+ years’ service on an Editorial Board, including 3-5 years’ experience directly handling submissions through peer review
- Currently working in Africa or within an African environment
Applications must include:
- Full curriculum vitae
- A letter outlining your vision and goals for AJLM during your 3-year term (2022 – 2025)
- Letter of support from institution (20% release time (1 day per week))
- Two letters of recommendation from peers that address the applicant’s research, medical writing and editorial abilities.
Application materials should be sent via email to:
The Chair of the EIC Search Committee,
Dr Pascale Ondoa
c/o Mrs Bethanie Rammer
ASLM Communications Department
All applications must be received by 31 July 2021.
Interviews will be conducted in September and October 2021.